Sunday 20 April 2014

A-Z Challenge: R is for Running Away

I only ever ran away from home once.

I had mono and I wasn't really sleeping (apparently there are two types of mono, one where you do nothing but sleep, and one where you're exhausted but you can't sleep. I had the second type) and I was pretty out of it. I don't remember what my mom said, but I just walked out the door and kept going. I was headed for my stepmom and stepsister's house, about a 5.5 km walk. I was practically delirious and very weak. I kept seeing flashing lights on the side of a hill and it was terrifying.

I made it as far as a funeral home before I couldn't keep going. Even though it was evening, the funeral home was open. There was a family doing a consultation of some sort in another room. I'm pretty sure I was crying and I know I didn't make a lot of sense--the man I spoke to thought I was running away from my First Kiss sister--but he let me use the phone. I called my mom's girlfriend, who was driving around looking for me (because that always works...) and went home. And I don't remember what happened after that.

The whole night was really, really surreal. I've felt a certain affection for that funeral home ever since.

What about you guys? Did you ever run away from home?

No comments:

Post a Comment